Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Two Planks

"Jesus didn't die on the cross to save sinners." I actually heard someone say that yesterday by a man affectionately known around Willow Creek Church as Dr. B. Now, to put that into context, as a kid I went to Sunday School and it was one of those pillars that we just had to know: "Jesus died to save sinners." I've made poor choices; I could never measure up to the perfection that Creator God expects of me; and I need someone to bridge that gap. Since I was a kid, I was told that Jesus loves me. That Jesus died to save me because I'm a sinner.

The reality, Dr. B continued, is, "Jesus died on the cross to save sinners for the purpose of bringing them together into a oneness community under the cross." What he means by that is that Jesus is not only concerned with restoring that gap between myself and God; Jesus is equally concerned with restoring the gap that exists between myself and other people.

There are two planks on the cross and each plank symbolizes a part of why Jesus died. The vertical plank represents my being brought back to rightness in relationship with God. And the horizontal plank, the one on which Jesus stretched out his welcoming arms, symbolically represents the restoration of relationship with those around us. Jesus came to bring us back to God and to bring us into community.

Real, vibrant, Christianity is only lived out when we are in right relationships with people. I cannot be a Christian if it's just 'me and God'. I am only living like a Christian when it is 'us and God'. Until I have embraced those around me with Christ-like love, I have not embraced Christ. That's a big deal. To be honest, I still haven't figured it out. If you're reading this and confused, you're not alone (because I'm writing this and confused!). I read and reread Ephesians 2:11-22 this morning because this is a great picture of why Jesus died on the cross; especially in light of the two planks.

No comments: