Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Seeing is Weeping

Last week, I went around the city with a video camera to get a picture of the city. As I was driving and walking with a camera, I spent most of the time in prayer for the people of our city. I simply asked God to open my eyes to the city; to let me see people the way He sees them. Largely, I have been impacted by this one verse (and, interestingly, Ed used it in his sermon this past Sunday): “When he [Jesus] drew near and saw the city, he wept over it.” (Luke 19:41)

The truth in that verse that grabbed me is that, until I weep over the city, I am not near enough to it, nor am I truly seeing the city. So, in answer to my prayer, God showed me stuff that I’ve never seen before.

First of all, there is a stronghold of individuality in this city, which translates into loneliness. Especially downtown, but even broader as well. People feel lonely. We know that already in our church as people have stated that they ‘feel disconnected.’ This seems ironic in the church because so much effort is put to programs and events that will help people connect, but the truth is that most people still don't feel a deep connection with others. What God showed me is that we have been good at putting people into closer proximity to others. However, people in St. Catharines are sitting by themselves in agonizing loneliness.

Another thing that God showed me is that this city is marked by pursuit. This might be normal in most North American cities, but I saw it last week. See, people are trying desperately to fill that emptiness with...something; anything!

These were both illustrated to me by a stark visual. But what was weird is that I saw the same visual twice, in two different parts of the city. On two separate occasions, God pointed me to people sitting on the end of a park bench, by themselves, while others walked past without noticing them. In both of these circumstances, there was something of high value in the same frame (in one, a thirty-something foot sailboat was docked directly in front of the person; and in the other, a high-end car was parked across the street).

In our city, people are lonely but often try to hide the feelings with other pursuits. Some pursue stuff, while others pursue activities. When Jesus sees our city, he weeps because he is here to fill that emptiness. And Jesus is beginning to show me how he sees this city. And he's showing me what he is weeping about.

May I see more.

...and may I weep more.

No comments: