Thursday, June 26, 2008

On My Way

Tomorrow I leave for a week of ministry in Central America. It's the first time I've been able to bring one of my children on a trip like this with me. It has always been a priority for my wife and myself to do something like this with our kids when we had the chance. The chance came up and now, as it gets closer, although I am very excited to have her with me, I am concerned with how a nine year-old can process poverty and injustice and exploitation.

It's one thing to have a nice trip to the Caribbean, it's another thing altogether when we're spending time with children who have contracted HIV through child prostitution. How does an adult come to grips with that, let alone a child?

I pray for her that the stuff she sees will make her compassionate and angry at the same time. I pray that this changes her to the core and that she adopts Christ's love for these people. And I pray that she can understand that this shouldn't be and she and I are not powerless to stop it.

I will post again when I return...

No comments: